The role sits in the Vehicle Science Department, which through simulation, data analysis and a deep understanding of vehicle dynamics, contributes in exploiting our car’s maximum potential and in suggesting development directions.
The activities the successful candidates will be involved in range from theoretical modelling and simulation to practical pre- and in-event support during races. Having Aerodynamics, Race Engineering and the Design Office as main customers will give them the opportunity to be in touch with and contribute to the majority of the performance aspects of a Formula 1 car.
Key Responsibilities will include:
- Under the guidance of the senior engineers within the department:
- Develop vehicle, powertrain and tyre models along with the associated optimisation routines.
- Continuous refinement of the model parameters to match real car performance.
- In conjunction with Engineering Software, develop data analysis and strategy tools to allow rapid understanding and optimisation of changes to race strategy, car setup and design parameters.
- Work with Aerodynamics, Race Engineering and the Design Office in support of short-term optimisation and longer term development of the F1 car.
- Analyse track data when required and produce reports on findings.
- Maintain databases for areas such as dampers, car setup and car data.
- Maintain and develop the vTag models for live off-car calculations of performance and reliability.
- Support 7-Post, Kinematics & Compliance and CofG / Inertia rig testing.
- Competitor performance analysis.
- Race weekend factory-based support.
- Degree or PhD educated in the areas of Race Car Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Maths or Physics.
- An understanding of the mathematical principles that underpin vehicle, tyre and powertrain modelling and simulation.
- Able to demonstrate a basic understanding of race car mechanical and control systems.
- MATLAB and Simulink experience.
- Willing to travel to (limited) tests/races should the need arise.
Successful Candidates must also be:
- Excellent with their attention to detail.
- Flexible in both mind-set and readiness to work a wide variety of working hours.
- Able to follow procedures and processes.
- Able to work under pressure.
- A true team player.
- Passionate for your area of work, your colleagues and have a genuine care for the results you achieve.
- A Strong team player, trustworthy, reliable & flexible in your approach to working hours
- An Excellent communicator both verbally and in writing